Saturday, August 20, 2011

Godesses

Im working on a series of unknouwn godesses. Here is the first;


 Mami wata, an African godess, seen in two ways. Your average evil-a** mermaid, man-eater (in all senses of the term) or guardian of nature.
                             




 Ala(Odinani) is the Niegerian godess of death;earth,fertility and morality.I pictured her as a pissed looking woman with a 'don't mess with me' expression on her face.This godess supposedly keeps the ancestors in her womb.I mean you dont just mess with someone who has dead old guys in her womb,right?

2 comments:

  1. I hate to be a Prick but if I come across to you as one, I'm kinda sorry. Ala(Odinani) isn't the "Nigerian goddess of...." like you said, she's the Igbo goddess of ....., the Igbo people are an ethnic group in Nigeria, the reason that I'm calling this error out is not because I think that she isn't the goddess of .... but because other ethnic groups also have their goddess of death, earth, fertility and other stuff, so it's not entirely correct to say that she's the "Nigerian" goddess of .....
    The Yoruba people (another ethnic group in Nigeria) for instance, have a goddess named ọya who is the goddess of fertility, and there are also others that I can't think of right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi chukky. I certainly don't think you are a prick. This blog is open to criticism, so thanks for the info, i'll be sure to correct it. :)

      Delete